- 1kg octopus, cleaned and skinned
- 150ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 400g can tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. ground chillies
- 500g potatoes, peeled and cut into thick slices)
- 250g peas
- Put the octopus in a large saucepan without adding water.
- Sprinkle with salt, cover, and let cook in its own juices over low heat for about 45 minutes.
- Four times during the cooking, lift the octopus out (using a fork) and dip into a pan of boiling water; then run the octopus under cold water and return it to the saucepan to continue cooking.
- Heat olive oil in an ovenproof casserole dish and gently fry in it; the onion, garlic, tomatoes and chilli powder for about 10 minutes (or until the onion has turned opaque).
- Add the potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the octopus and enough of its cooking liquid to cover the contents of the casserole.
- Add salt as desired, and let the dish cook gently, uncovered for about 30 minutes (or until the potatoes are tender and the sauce is largely reduced).
- Finally, add the cooked peas to the casserole and heat through.
Serve the octopus and vegetables form the casserole.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram