- 2 spatchcocked poussin No. 5, (500g)
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp. fresh chopped mixed herbs such as parsley, tarragon and thyme
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 x 400g can pimientos
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the poussin a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Mix together the lemon rind and juice, herbs and oil. Season; then pour the marinade over the poussin.
- Turn the birds, breast-side down.
- Cover with cling-wrap.
- Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Turn the poussin breast side down.
- Bake for 30 minutes, basting occasionally with the marinade.
Poussins are cooked when the juices run clear from the thigh when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife or skewer.
To make the Sauce
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Add the garlic and onion.
- Cook over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, until soft and golden.
- Drain the pimientos, reserving 3 tbsp. of the juice.
- Add to the pan with the reserved juice.
- Blend the sauce in a food processor, until almost smooth.
- Return to the saucepan.
- Heat for 2-3 minutes until piping hot.
- Season well.
Serve the sauce with the poussin.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram