- 2 live mud crabs
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 10cm piece green ginger
- 1 small red pepper
- 8 shallots
- ½ cup of water
- 2 tbsp. dry sherry
- ½ tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. cornflour
- ¼ cup water, extra
- Place mud crabs in freezer for half to ¾ hour; this will make the crabs go to sleep, so you can work with them without been bitten.
- Gently pull away the crab's round hard shell.
- With a small sharp knife, gently cut away the grey fibrous tissue.
- Rinse to clean crab.
- Chop off legs and nippers.
- Crack these lightly with the back of a cleaver to break through the hard shell. (This makes it easier to get to and eat the meat).
- Chop down the centre of crab to separate the body into 2 halves.
- Then chop across each half, 3 times; this gives six body sections of each crab.
- Remove seeds from red pepper, cut into very thin strips.
- Chop shallots into 2.5cm lengths.
- Peel ginger, cut into very thin slices, then cut each slice of ginger into very thin strips.
- Heat oil and sesame oil in wok or pan, add prepared ginger, sauté very gently for 2 minutes, add prepared crab, toss 1 minute.
- Add red pepper, water, sherry, soy sauce, crumbled stock cube and sugar, bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer covered for 4 minutes, remove the lid.
- Add combined extra water and cornflour; toss for 2 minutes or until sauce is boiling and coats crab well.
Add shallots, toss for 1 minute.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram