- 1 onion
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 50g white breadcrumbs, use day-old Bread
- 1 tsp butter
- 500ml milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the onion and stud with the cloves and place into a suitable saucepan with the milk and bay leaf
- Bring to the boil, turn off and let the onion infuse the milk for at least one hour.
- Remove the onion and bay leaf and discard.
- Add the crumbs and bring back to the boil. Season with salt and pepper a little nutmeg.
- Remove from heat and dot with butter and leave stand for at least another hour.
When ready to serve, warm the sauce and serve in a sauceboat.
If you want to make a little richer, you can stir in a spoonful of thickened cream.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram